Banbury physio and pilates specialises in Bobath therapy along with pre and post SDR (selective dorsal rhizotomy) physiotherapy treatment and rehabilitation.
The role of the Physiotherapist is to assess and manage children and young people with movement disorders, disability or illness. My aim is to help the child or young person reach their full potential through providing physical intervention, promoting normal movement patterns, advice and support, and by promoting independence, physical fitness and well being.
Using knowledge of child development including brain and musculoskeletal development, sensory development, emotional, environmental and social influences, I can train and guide the child towards more normal development and aid in achieving milestones such as sitting, crawling and walking. I am a highly trained Bobath physiotherapist with several years experience practicing Bobath therapy and advising colleagues on using these skills for treatment. Bobath or Neurodevelopmental Therapy is a specialised and highly effective treatment approach for children with Cerebral Palsy, neurological disorders or for children with similar movement difficulties.
I will initially carry out an assessment (approximately 1 hour) to include your child’s:
- strength and co-ordination
- motor development
- posture and balance
- quality of movement
- functional movement
and also gather information from parents or carers on specific problems and goals.
The choice of support I offer is subsequently based on the outcome of assessment, the impact of the difficulty on the child's life and the likelihood of effecting change at this time.
I always discuss the outcome and suggested treatment with the child and the parent. Treatment sessions vary between 30 mins to 1 hour depending on the findings on assessment and the child’s tolerance.
Following the agreed period of support, I will discuss the child's progress with parents/carers and recommend further action according to the child's changing needs.
I can also offer advice on children's hydrotherapy treatment, and am happy to work in the pool with the child (pool arrangements and entry fees will need to be covered).
I can treat any condition which impacts on the physical development of a child. The list below gives some examples of conditions treated.
• Cerebral palsy
• Birth trauma including prematurity and birth asphyxia (lack of oxygen)
• Acquired head injuries and spinal injuries
• Children who have had Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR)
• Spina Bifida
• Hypotonia (low muscle tone, floppy child)
• Hypertonia (high muscle tone, stiff child)
• Ataxia and Athetosis (child has body tremors or uncontrolled movements)
• Hypermobility (lax ligaments causing loose joints)
• Developmental and Motor Delay (delay in reaching movement milestones such as rolling or crawling)
• Developmental Co-ordination Difficulties (the clumsy child who has difficulties with more complex
milestones such as kicking, climbing, hopping)
• Dyspraxia (difficulty learning new skills, causing difficulties with more complex milestones)
• Torticollis (stiff neck) and Plagiocephaly (flattened head)
• Congenital (birth) abnormalities
• Genetic abnormalities and Syndromes (e.g. Spinal Muscular Atrophy, Muscular Dystrophy, Downs Syndrome)